15. Describe your favorite movie. You should say
what the name of the movie/ film is
what the theme of the movie/ film is
why you like it
and describe the story of the movie in brief.
Sample Answer – Band Score 9.0
The name of my favorite movie is ‘Casablanca’ which was directed by Michael Curtiz. It was released in 1943 and the story was adapted from a stage-play named ‘Everybody comes to Ricks’. The movie starred Humphery Bogart & Ingrid Bergman and was made in the USA. It was a romantic drama film and the storyline was set during World War II.
It focuses on a man torn between love and virtue. In 1941 American expatriate Rick who professed to be neutral by all means met his former lover Ilsa in his nightclub and gambling den. She was accompanied by her husband, Laszlo, a renowned fugitive Czech Resistance Leader. They needed a letter to escape to America, where he can continue his work against the Nazis. German Major came to Casablanca to see that Laszlo does not succeed. One night Ilsa confronted Rich in the deserted cafe and asked for the letter. She threatened him with a gun for the letter and later on confessed that she still loved him. Rick’s bitterness dissolved learning that Ilsa was married to Laszlo before even their relationship began.
In 1989, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry a being deemed ‘Culturally’, ‘Historically’ and ‘Aesthetically’ significant. It is the second best movie of all time based on AFI’s 100 best movies of all time.
I’ve seen the movie more than 2-3 times. The story is excellent, the casting, plot, acting, dialogues and all other aspects of the movie are superb. The movie deeply touched me and became the most favorite movie I have ever seen.
Tips for answering this Cue card topic:
1. Talk about a movie that you have watched
as this would help you describe the storyline of the movie.
2. You should know the names of the main actor, actress, genre, producer and director of the movie.
3. Describe the story in brief. Do not start describing the details of the story from the beginning as you will run out of time before finishing the whole story.
4. Mention some of the following reasons for the question ‘Why you liked it“
- This is a critically acclaimed movie.
- The storyline is touchy and has good morality.
- The movie was based on a real story.
- The story depicts a historic event/ national event/ real life issue.
- I enjoyed the acting and story of the movie.
- The outstanding performance by an actor/ actress.
- The movie has lots of special effect/ actions that you enjoyed.
- It is one of the best movies based on some reliable ratings.
- It was recommended by a friend/ family member/ teacher
- The story reveals a fact that touched you.
Your ability to talk about this Cue Card would enable you to talk about the following Cue Cards as well:
1.Describe a movie you have recently watched.
2. Describe a foreign movie that you have watched.
3. Describe a movie you would recommend others to watch.
4. Talk about a movie that you enjoyed watching.
5. Describe a film you have recently watched.