21. Describe an important decision/ choice that you made in your life. You should say:
What the decision was
When you took the decision
What the results of the decision was and whether it was a good choice.
and explain why it was an important decision or choice for you.
Model Answer – Band Score – 9.0
I’ve made lots of decisions in my life and frankly I have taken those decisions sometimes all alone and sometimes discussing with my parents and others. The particular decision that seems very important to me was the time when I decided to major in Literature rather than major in Engineering. My mother wanted me to get admitted in the Eng.
University and do my graduation majoring
Engineering while my fascination was studying in Literature. I made this
decision when I was 18 years of old, just after finishing my 12th grade. My
father did not force me to do anything; instead, he told me to do what I
thought was best for me. My relatives thought that I was a fool and too
immature to make a big decision for myself.
But after considering several issues and perspective I decided to get myself admitted to a university that offers graduation in literature. I’m happy that I made this decision. I’m yet to finish my graduation but throughout the last 3 years I have enjoyed studying literature and I am doing quite well academically.
Making the decision/ choice was not easy and I had to go through a hard time as I remember. I had to fight a lot with my inner self and then convince my mother. Since I made my own choice at that time, a strong urge and force worked on me that I have to do really good and I am happy that I took my decision and doing very good so far.
Tips for answering this cue card topic:
- Your decision to get admitted into a college, university or studying in a particular major/ subject.
- Your decision of living in a foreign country.
- Your decision of taking a course or learning a thing.
- Your decision of taking a part-time/ full-time job.
- Your decision of making a change in your family like, living in a town rather than in the village.
- Your decision of obeying your parents on certain issues.
- Your decision of not getting involved in a political party/organization that eventually turned out to be negative for others.
- Your decision of helping a person/ people of your locality.
- Your decision of informing a bad thing happening in your locality to the appropriate authority.
- Your decision of protesting a decision taken by your relatives.
- Your choice of imposing something to your family members or friends which later turned out to be positive for him/her.
- Your decision of buying something that letter become helpful for you and others.
If you can talk about this cue card you would also be able to describe:
you did and felt good for that.
2. Describe something you did for others.
3. Talk about a choice you made in your life.
4. Describe a decision you took that later affected your life.
5. Talk about an incidence when you got confused.
6. Describe an important choice you had to make in your life.